What to do?

This is the forum for general discussion.

Moderator: 2ffat

What to do?

Postby dewit@starpower.net » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:05 pm

I need some advice from knowledgable people.

I am an amateur programmer and since the mid-1980s have used Borland C/C++ development systems.

I have liked the Borland products and would continue using them if Borland had not announced that they are going to do something about the C++ Builder package.

It is not at all clear to me what this exactly implies. Does it mean that C++ Builder as it is now will radically change or will the changes be in the background with the IDE and its functionality largely unchanged?

What are precisely the consequences of integrating C++ Builder into Delphi (this is, I believe, Borland said they would do)?

Microsoft is offering its Visual C++ Express system free of charge and I downloaded the 400 MB files to have a look at it. Switching would involve quite a learning effort and I would prefer to continue with Borland if their package would be useable for me.

Thanks for advice.
dewit@starpower.net

Postby stukelly » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:57 pm

It is not at all clear to me what this exactly implies. Does it mean that C++ Builder as it is now will radically change or will the changes be in the background with the IDE and its functionality largely unchanged?

What are precisely the consequences of integrating C++ Builder into Delphi (this is, I believe, Borland said they would do)?

Borland have intergrated all four langauges into one IDE. This gives you Delphi Win32, Delphi .NET, C# and C++ Win32 in one environment.

One advantage of this are that any updates and changes to the VCL will be the same for Delphi Win32 and C++ Win32. Another advantage is that new features are availble including sync edit, refactoring, code folding and live templates.

Have a look at the http://bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,33354,00.html article for an overview.

I would recommend downloading the demo when it becomes available.

Stuart :)
stukelly
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Return to General